• Peaceful Passing for Pets: “A Caregiver’s Guide to Pet Hospice Care”, Chapter 7 “Bereavement” (available early 2017), Ruth Stryker-Gordon B.S., M.A.
Ruth Stryker-Gordon is Professor Emeritus of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. She served as Assistant Director of Long Term Care Administration Education, U of MN School of Public Health. Prior to her work at the University she was Director of Nursing Education and Publications at the Sister Kenny Institute.
• Processing Grief – Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Argus Institute Counseling and Support Services
• Permission to Grieve, Part I – Kristi Lehman, MSW, LGSW MN Pets
• The First Rule of Grief: There Are No Rules of Grief, Kristi Lehman, MSW, LGSW
Children and Grief
• Children and Pet Loss – The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
• Helping Children Through Pet Illness and Death – Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Argus Institute Counseling and Support Services
How Animals Grieve
• Peaceful Passing for Pets: “A Caregiver’s Guide to Pet Hospice Care”, Chapter 7 “When Other Pets Grieve”, Ruth Stryker-Gordon B.S., M.A.
• How Animals Grieve – Karissa Bennett, MSW Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Argus Institute Counseling and Support Services
• Do Pets Grieve the Loss of Their Animal Friends? – Lisa Havelin, MA, MFA, LAMFT
• How to Pack for an Unexpected Guilt Trip – Kristi Lehman, MSW, LGSW
Additional Recommended Grief and Pet Loss Links
The following are some of our favorite resources. If you need additional support, please message Peaceful Passing for Pets through our Contact Us page.
Peaceful Passing for Pets: “A Caregiver’s Guide to Pet Hospice Care”
Order online… (coming soon)
Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
The MN Pets website www.mnpets.com offers:
• Multiple articles specific to end-of-life issues
• Grief Support Email Series – An excellent series of emailed letters supporting you and your grieving process during the month following your loss.
• MN Pets Helpline – (612) 354-8500
Local Pet Loss Support Groups
Companion Animal Love Loss and Memories (CALLM) pet loss support group
University of MN, Veterinary Medical Center (612) 624-9372
Animal Humane Society of Golden Valley Pet Loss Support Group – This group is an ongoing, informal support group for adults 16 years and older led by compassionate facilitators. The drop-in groups are provided to the public for free, and reservations are not required to attend.
Counselors Specializing in Grief and Loss
Lisa Havelin is one of the most highly sought after grief counselors, specializing in animal loss, in the Twin Cities. She’s a caring individual who deeply understands the human-animal bond and offers one-on-one grief counseling. http://www.lisahavelin.com/
Center for Grief, Loss, and Transition – The Center is a nonprofit organization dedicated to offering hope and healing for people during the difficult times in their lives. http://www.griefloss.org or (651) 641-0177
Pet Loss Hotlines
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
Pet Loss Hotline 877-GRIEF-10
Washington State University Pet Loss Hotline
• Call us: 1-(866) 266-8635
Chance’s Spot: Pet Loss Hotlines Across the U.S.
For links to various nationwide Pet Loss Grief Hotlines
Listings and resources provided are for information only and are not endorsed or supported by Peaceful Passing for Pets.